September 2018

          Hi there! So its official,  I finally got to New Orleans and let me say that it’s been a whirlwind of an adjustment. It still kind of blows my mind to say “I made it to NOLA!!!” A solid month into my program, and things are moving so quickly! I am settling into academia and day to day life as a student here at Tulane University. It's really different from living in Atlanta but still has the southern charm, except with "a Whole Lotta Jazz!" Haha. We are coming up on the second block exam this upcoming week so, I am still trying to find balance but most of my time is dedicated to studying.
         In moments of reflection, I do find myself missing home and internalizing the reality of being so far away from home by myself. I must say that I am lucky to have established relationships with peers who are on similar paths in medicine and its comforting to know we are striving for the same goals.  We are a cohort of 34 individuals all ranging from various backgrounds and from all over the country. It already feels  like a family as we engage and discover our differences and similarities over lunches and dinners. Despite all of our differences,  I think its really cool  that we mesh so well. There is a vast amount of material covered over exams however,everyone from my peers, my instructors, and  administrative staff are all helpful in different ways to help ease adjusting to student life in the Big Easy.
          Last weekend, I got the opportunity to volunteer at the Goldring Center for Culinary Medicine where I assisted members of the community in learning how to prepare meals for healthy meals for particular diets. Not only did this give me the opportunity to immerse myself within the community and get to know my new neighbors but I also learned some things about preparing meals for myself. Quite frankly, it was a welcomed break from school or shall I say the academic rigors of my program. There were full course meals prepared with a variety of fresh foods and proteins such as chicken, tofu, shrimp skewers, eggplant, couscous and pesto, to name a few. I had a great time and really enjoyed myself. There is a community garden where fresh vegetables and herbs are planted and grown for community use. I must say I'm looking forward to going back soon. In the mean time, I'll continue to embrace the new changes and challenges of academia in the journey to becoming Dr.Johnson.

Total Service hours for September:8
Cumulative:8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October

November 2018

January 2019